Skip to Main Content
California State Board of Pharmacy

Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES) and Controlled Substance Prescriptions

Please visit the Department of Justice website to register.


CURES Certification

On April 2, 2018, the California Department of Justice certified CURES is ready for statewide use. Pursuant to Health and Safety Code section 11165.4(e), beginning Oct. 2, 2018, certain health care practitioners must consult CURES before prescribing a Schedule II, III or IV controlled substance. The consultation requirement does NOT apply to pharmacists.

For information about the CURES consultation requirement, see:


CURES Information and Support (Department of Justice)

Contact: or (916) 210-3187

For data submission instructions or assistance with transmission issues, please contact:

Atlantic Associates, Inc. – CURES Prescription Data Collection Vendor

Toll Free: (800) 539-3370
Phone:  (603) 627-7829
Fax: (877) 508-6704


Online DEA Registration Verification of Prescribers

Pharmacists can log into the federal Drug Enforcement Administration’s website using their own DEA license number and registration information, or the pharmacy’s DEA license number and registration information where they can verify the status and controlled substance writing authority for a particular prescriber’s DEA license number. The pharmacy must have a DEA license in order to access the system.


Online State Medical License Verification of Prescribers

Pharmacists and security prescription form vendors can use the following links to verify the license status and check for any restrictions placed on the State medical license of a prescriber:

Controlled Substance Prescription Forms

Written prescriptions for controlled substances in Schedules II – V, must be on a form obtained from a California-approved security prescription printer. For a complete list of approved vendors authorized to print California controlled substance prescription forms, please visit the website at and click on View List. Prices for the prescription forms vary from different approved printers.

It is the pharmacist’s responsibility to ensure the validity of any controlled substances order. There are specific elements and security features these forms must possess. These features are specified in California Health and Safety Code section 11162.1

California-Approved Controlled Substance Prescription Form Vendors

If you are a paper printing vendor, and wish to apply to become a California-approved controlled substance prescription pad vendor, please visit the Department of Justice’s website for an application, requirements, and guidelines for policies and procedures.  The Security Prescription Printer Program can be reached via email at or by calling (916) 210-3216.


Reporting Lost or Stolen Prescription Forms

Prescribers must report lost or stolen prescription forms to local law enforcement officials and to CURES. Prescribers can report a loss online through their CURES account. A law enforcement agency report number is required when reporting the loss to CURES.

For questions about reporting lost or stolen prescription forms, contact the Security Prescription Printer Program at


E-Prescribing of Controlled Substances

E-prescribing of controlled substances is now authorized federally and in California for all Schedule II-V medications.

For more information on Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances


Helpful Information for Prescribers and Dispensers from the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Agency – Office of Diversion Control

Practitioner’s Manual 2006 Edition