Staffing Ratio of Pharmacists to Intern Pharmacists (BPC section 4114(b))
The ratio of pharmacists to intern pharmacists may increase to allow for one additional pharmacy intern for each supervising pharmacist under the following conditions:
- The pharmacy documents the need for the ratio modification due to the COVID-19 public health emergency. Examples of documentation may include, but are not limited to, an increased prescription volume or limitation on staff availability because of quarantine.
- The additional intern pharmacist meets one of the following criteria:
- Enrolled in a recognized school of pharmacy with an anticipated graduation date in 2020; or
- Graduated from a recognized school of pharmacy; or
- Is certified by the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee.
- The pharmacy maintains a readily retrievable record documenting the date(s) and time(s) when the ratio is increased pursuant to this waiver, the staff operating under the waiver, and justification of the need. Records must be maintained for one year following the end of the declared emergency.
Effective: March 20, 2020
Expiration: June 24, 2020, or until the emergency declaration is lifted, whichever is sooner.