Pharmacist Licensure Examinations
Intern Pharmacy Practice Experience Changes
Effective January 1, 2016, section 4209 of the Business and Professions Code is amended to read:
(a) (1) An intern pharmacist shall complete 1,500 hours of pharmacy practice experience before applying for the pharmacist licensure examination.
(2) This pharmacy practice experience shall comply with the Standards of Curriculum established by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or with regulations adopted by the board.
(3) This pharmacy practice experience shall include 900 hours of pharmacy practice experience in a pharmacy as a pharmacist and shall include pharmacy practice experience in both a community and institutional pharmacy practice setting.
(b) An intern pharmacist shall submit proof of his or her pharmacy practice experience on board‐approved affidavits, or another form specified by the board, which shall be certified under penalty of perjury by a pharmacist under whose supervision such the experience was obtained or by the pharmacist‐in‐charge at the pharmacy while the pharmacist intern obtained the experience. Intern hours Pharmacy practice experience earned in another state may be certified by the licensing agency of that state to document proof of those hours.
(c) An applicant for the examination who has been licensed as a pharmacist in any state for at least one year, as certified by the licensing agency of that state, may submit this certification to satisfy the required 1,500 hours of intern pharmacy practice experience, provided that the applicant has obtained a minimum of 900 hours of pharmacy practice experience in a pharmacy as a pharmacist and has pharmacy practice experience in both a community and institutional pharmacy practice setting. Certification of an applicant’s licensure in another state shall be submitted in writing and signed, under oath, by a duly authorized official of the state in which the license is held.
(d) An applicant for the examination who has graduated after January 1, 2016, from an ACPE accredited college of pharmacy or school of pharmacy recognized by the board shall be deemed to have satisfied the pharmacy practice experience requirements specified in subdivisions (a) and (b).
Please review the Pharmacist Examination and Licensure Application Instructions for additional information on the documents required to submit with the application pertaining to the intern pharmacy practice experience.
- Pharmacist Licensure Examination Information -
- Required Identification for Admission into the CPJE (PDF)
- Prior Exam Pass Rates
- Regrade of the CPJE (PDF)
- Release of Exam Results - Updated 10/16/15
- Four Time Failure of California Examinations
- Pharmacist Licensure Exam Application and Instructions (PDF)
- Help! My identifications don't match! What do I do? (PDF)
- Reasonable Accommodations
- Examination Security Acknowledgement (Form 17A-76) (PDF)
- Affidavit of Intern Experience Obtained in Community and Institutional Pharmacy Settings (Form 17A-77) (PDF)
- Retake Application for Pharmacist Licensure and Examination (PDF)
- CPJE Candidate Information Bulletin (PDF)
- California Specific Examination CPJE Content Outline (PDF)
- Pharmacist Licensure Examination Flowchart (PDF)
- NAPLEX Examination Information
- Determining the Passing Scores for the California Pharmacist Licensure Examinations (PDF)
- Resource for Candidates: List of Schools Offering 16 Semester Units of Remedial Pharmacy Education (PDF)
Watch for More Information to Come Soon!